Welcome to the first level of training - Shikomi. The purpose of this lesson is to discuss the role of Shikomi online role play and familiarize you with some of the others you may see in a SecondLife Okiya. At the end of this lesson there are some assignments. You will have 1 week to complete this initial stage.
A shikomi is in SecondLife okiya is a young girl first orienting to life in an okiya - or Geisha House. She works as a maid straightening up rooms, running errands, doing chores and tending to the needs of the mother (Okaasan) and others in the house.
You begin your training as a shikomi.. a young girl in preparation. Here are your learning tasks in this stage:
- Discipline - you will learn this by doing chores and studies (guided or independently
- Observation - watching your older sisters interacting, but also watch movies or read books like Geisha by Liza Dalby; Geisha: A Unique World of Tradition, Elegance and Art by John Gallagher, Memoirs of a Geisha as movie or book and you will see other suggestions as you go through the studies.
Prerequisite to Shikomi role at Amatsu Okiya is a minimum of 3 months Second Life experience, you speak, understand and read/write in English. You need to be proficient at guiding your avatar to move, sit, kneel, walk through doors without injuring yourself or the house. :)
The shikomi stage must last at least a week before you are eligible to advance to the next stage of Minarai.
- Do your chores and submit a creative note card about the chore - get into your role
- Attend classes and/or discuss lessons with your mentor (Okaasan or older sister)
- Complete the Shikomi web lessons and independently investigate learning opportunities in bookstores, online, with other okiya in SecondLife.
- Ask questions in character and be respectful at all times. Do not risk being expelled for attitude or rudeness - be polite.
- Explore and become familiar with Amatsu Shima so you may provide tours for our guests. Some have made notecards with landmarks and pictures
- Add active members of the Okiya to your friend's list and arrange to meet a minimum of two geisha from our okiya or another (Okaasan can help you with this)
- Makeup: subdued, natural - no painted lips or eyeshadow
- Hair: wear down, neat, not in your face, could be in a braid
- Dress: simple yukata, zouri (flat-soled sandals) and tabi (white socks with big toe separated)
- Behavior: demure, quiet, respectful, shy
Please obtain the following from Okaasan: